— Luxor, Egypt, Africa
- Egyptian Marathon
- Thursday, January 12, 2017
- Luxor, Egypt
Our 3rd Annual Club meeting will be held at Luxor, Egypt. LizNoel Duncan is our Marathon Globetrotters Africa Ambassador and she will be our host. If you plan to join, please make sure to add yourself to the calendar.
Listed below are the details and FAQ prepared by LizNoel Duncan who will be our host and has run this event. Please notify LizNoel of your intention to participate or if you have any questions.
Host: LizNoel Duncan firstname.lastname@example.org
Race Director: Gasser Riad 20-1222-148-839
The payment is via bank draft (they will supply banking details, I have already registered and done this), there is not a credit card option. Event email for questions: email@example.com Airport to fly into: Luxor Airport Name of town: Luxor, Egypt Name of hotel: Jolie Ville Time, airport to hotel: 15 minutes Recommended date to arrive: marathon package includes 3 nights, you can choose that to be Wednesday, Thursday, Friday depart Saturday (Jan 11-14), at latest arrive on Thu January 12.
Flight arrival options: There are several flight options from Cairo, early morning through evening
An Egyptian tourist visa is required, purchasable upon arrival. $25 valid for 3 months sold at the money exchange places in the arrival hall, head to any bank (you will find at least 3) and buy a visa from the bank clerk just before passport control. You can also exchange for EGP at the same time or there are ATMs outside customs.
Place the visa sticker on the first empty page in your passport. You must ensure that you complete all fields on the arrival card IN CAPITAL LETTERS. Then join the queue for passport control. If you are arriving in a group of 2 or more, it is a good idea for one person to buy the visas for everyone, while the others hold his or her place in the passport control queue.
Please note that for some Asian nationalities like Thailand, Philippine, Malaysia, India may need to obtain visa from the Egyptian consulate before arrival.
Airport transport method: You can either hire a taxi at the airport or ask the hotel to pick you up. We recommend booking through the hotel or travel agent, so that someone doesn’t try to take advantage of you as a tourist. If you take a taxi, insist that they use the meter. If they won’t, get out.
Money, will we need cash? Egypt is a cash society. There are plenty of ATMs, but people are desperate for $ or €. Hotel will take credit cards, but everything else is cash.
ATM available? Yes, there are ATMs around the city and at the hotel
Photos: Be careful taking photos of people and military, but take as many as you like of monuments. No flash on ancient monuments, though the Egyptians won’t stop you (if you tip).
Safety comments: Pay attention to your surroundings. Cairo is a big city, Luxor a small city. Treat them as you would a big city.
Women runners should be modest. Liz ran in short sleeves & running capris with a running skirt, but most women just wear capris. Egyptian women can get away with tank tops, but foreigners can’t. Be prepared for stares, and don’t respond if men yell something. They know they shouldn’t and they think you don’t know any better. They are annoying but harmless.
Globetrotter annual meeting Jan 12, 4 PM, meeting room at Jolie Ville to be announced. Approximately 1 hour.
Pick up bibs after meeting.
- Friday January 13, 7:00 AM start to 1:00 PM, 6 hours
- Transportation included
- We have arranged for a 5:30 AM early start, transportation for early start will be extra, we will make arrangements upon arrival, let LizNoel know if you need the early start. Don’t select early start if you can finish in 6 hours.
- 2 or 3 runners may come with the staff early.
- Breakfast start at 3:30 at the hotel on marathon day
- Aid Stations: Every 2.5 km, mineral water, bananas
Luxor is used to the marathon and the kids will run along side you on the later loops. By the last loop they are as bored with you as you are with them. Smile and enjoy the scenery.
LUXOR Marathon Lodging
Marathon package, these are a 5% discount to Globetrotters
- EUR 290 each Runner in Single room with breakfast
- EUR 340 each Runner in Single room with breakfast and dinner
- EUR 190 each Runner in Double room with breakfast
- EUR 240 each Runner in Double room with breakfast and dinner
Price includes Start Number, room for three nights, certificate, Medal, Service on the road, Marathon dinner Party (evening after the marathon for medals and awards) and transportation to the start point and back to hotel.Package for non-runners
- EUR 250 each Person for non-Runners in Single room with breakfast
- EUR 300 each Person for non-Runners in Single room with breakfast and dinner
- EUR 150 each Person for non-Runners in Double room with breakfast
- EUR 200 each Person for non-Runners in Double room with breakfast and dinner
Price includes room for three nights and Marathon dinner Party and transportation to the start point and back to hotel. If you need more nights EUR 70 Per night in Single room EUR 75 Per night in Double room.
Tourist opportunities within the 3 days included in registration. Including: Jan 11 early morning after breakfast, visit Hatshepsut temple, Valley of the Kings and inspection trip to the marathon course. Extended tourist options recommended by LizNoel: Mostafa Fawzy firstname.lastname@example.org
Packages for Nile Cruise, Luxor or Cairo
- Nile Cruise Three nights four days the cost is 350 USD per person in a double room includes all the tours and the accommodation in full board.
- Luxor only two nights costs 200 USD per person in a double room includes two nights accommodation (Breakfast included) and all the tours as in the itinerary.
- Cairo only two nights costs 220 USD per person in a double room includes two nights accommodation (Breakfast included) and all the tours as in the itinerary.
All the accommodation are five stars. And very flexible for any change or addition in the itineraries.
Nearby races on adjacent weekend(s)
Tiberias Marathon (Israel) will be held Jan 6, 2017 7:30 AM start and 6 hour time limit.
Dubai Marathon Jan 20, 7 hr time limit confirmed
If you know of another possible event in the region on weekend of Jan 5-8 or Jan 20-22 let me know.